Calling Writers of All Ages!
Enter your original works in any or all of our 2015 Annual Writing Contest categories: Poetry, Short Story (Fiction), and/or True Story (Creative Nonfiction/Essay). This contest is open to all Bullitt County Public Library (BCPL) cardholders. If you do not have a library card from BCPL, please visit the Circulation Desk at you nearest BCPL location to sign up!
|Download our printable PDF handout, or view the guidelines and FAQs listed below.|
1. All entries must be your own, unpublished work.
2. You may submit no more than one entry per category and you may not enter the same work in more than one category.
- Entries must be submitted in the Word (.doc/.docx) or PDF (.pdf) file format.
- Word count should not exceed 3,500 words.
- Text should be in the Times New Roman font style and in 14-point font size.
- Lines should be double spaced.
- Pages should have half-inch margins.
- DO NOT add your name anywhere in your entry.
- Entries must be submitted in the month of April, no later than 11:59 PM on Thursday, April 30th.
- Entries must be submitted using the online entry form below. You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your entry is successfully submitted. If you do not received a confirmation e-mail, call the Outreach Department at 543-7675 ext. 5.
- Your submission gives BCPL permission to publish your work, your name, and your photo in print materials or electronic media (including in the Pioneer News).
5. Submissions that do not follow the above guidelines risk disqualification.
If you need help with formatting, saving, or submitting your Writing Contest short story, true story, and/or poem, we have scheduled drop-in times to assist you. Please note, we cannot type your submission for you.
- Tuesday, April 28th 12:00-7:30 PM @ Hillview Library
- Tuesday, April 28th 5:00-7:30 PM @ Mt. Washington Library
- Thursday, April 30th 12:00-7:30 PM @ Ridgway Memorial Library
- Thursday, April 30th 4:00-7:30 PM @ Lebanon Junction Library
Judging Process & Winners:
- This is a blind judged contest, meaning
judges will not know the identity of the author they are
critiquing. Each entry will be judged by at
least three judges, using a standardized online judging
- Winners will be announced by June 1st, 2015.
- Winning entries will be published in the
2015 contest book. Each winner and honorable
mention will receive a copy. Copies of annual contest
publications are shelved at each library location.
- Winners will also be invited to read from their work at the BCPL Author Faire in November.
Submit Your Entry:
If you plan to submit entries in more than one category, you will need to complete a registration form for each submission. Please remember that you may not submit more than one entry per category.
last updated 4/1/15